Re: [IP] Tp Pete & Your Wife

-----Original Message-----
From: Paula Berketo <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: Monday, November 16, 1998 7:38 PM
Subject: [IP] To Pete & Your Wife

Paula, and group posters, it's gratifying to realize that none of us is
alone in our struggles with this disease and its treatment.

Since beginning insulin therapy (MDI) a decade ago, I have been what many of
you would consider aggressive in trying to keep my hemoglobin glucose rate

When I mentioned some of my lower bg readings to my Endo, he would usually
suggest I lower the dose of insulin.  Sometimes in spite of lowering doses I
had some hellacious hypos.  Not enough carbos to cover the humalog or
skipping a meal entirely and getting slammed by Humulin Lente.

Since beginning pumping a year ago, none of my hypos have been greater than
that from which I can recover without outside aid.  For that good fortune I
feel very grateful.

Are the hypos you are experiencing more than you personally can handle?

>Lastly, I currently have more low episodes than I would like.  The worst
>ones happen when I wake up.  It seems that if my sugar drops continually
>and slowly through the night it is very hard to bring my sugar level back
>up.  I have been at 25 more than once and eaten everything in the house
>before my number will begin to rise.

I've measured 28mg/dl and had enough presence to eat some sugar.  Not while
sleeping however.  Have you considered tweaking (decreasing)  the nighttime
basal rates?  I think that's what my Endo would say.

>Point being, if you wife's sugars are continually low when you test in the
>morning one of the easiest ways to get some long lasting energy through the
>night is to eat a good snack before bed.  What that is varies from person
>to person - I find a carbohydrate (bread, cereal) with a protein (cheese,
>peanut butter ) and a glass of milk seems to last for me.

Recently some other group members have posted that they too have some
problems with programming their pumps to anticipate for the above sort of
bedtime snack.

I used to have to snack while on MDI; now my basals alone keep my bg in

The first time I slept with the pump my waking BG matched my bedtime BG.

Day or night I can use just the right amount of insulin and VOILA! for the
first time since starting with insulin, I don't have to eat.  Remember they
used to tell us that food must follow insulin?  Well, for me anyway, with
the pump, that's no longer the gospel.

Another good fortune for which I feel grateful.  'Course to have that, the
basals have to be right.