[IP] insertion sites

janet wrote:

> did notice a red, slightly tender elevated bump at the site after
> removing the old site.......is day #5 on this set........
> I usually keep the infusion set in about 4 days, sometimes
> less when I suspect absorption problems after I experience
> unexplained high BG's.

> Have others re-filled their pump reserviors?  If so, how do you
> do it and what has been your experience?

Janet. I reuse the syringe at LEAST 4 times, sometimes more...I usually can
NOT remember when i last changed it...I have never used one so long that the
numbers rub off, but I would say a box of 30 would last me over a year...When
I do this, I prepare it the same as if it was empty and I was starting over:

1.  Unhook it from me (I use the tender/comfort)
2. Take syringe out of pump.  Pull all insulin from tubing back into syringe
until I get bubbles in top of syringe.
3.  Disconnect tubing from syringe and attach the needle (which by the way, I
re-use Many many times.  The bent needle sets used to come with a USABLE cap
on the end that you could attach to the base of the needle and it stayed on -
unlike these cheap ones that come on the Comfort/Tender nowadays.  I don't use
the bent needles anymore but I kept 4 or 5 caps, and just attach them to the
needle after i remove it from syringe...I rotate needles every couple of
months, when ever it seems like it is having difficulty poking thru the bottle
stopper...)
4.  Draw insulin from bottle into syringe - get rid of bubbles by flicking
with my finger or a pen.  Remove needle, re cap it and re-attache tubing...
5. Prime as usual.

I get 5 or more days per set and like you, try to stretch - for a variety of
reasons - #1 being that I hate poking myself, so if my sugars are ok and the
site is not red or tender...what the heck - a day without poking is a good day
indeed.

I would venture to say that your site being red and sore was NOT a result of
refilling the reservoir, but perhaps it was just a bad site, or was ready to
be changed anyway.

Sara
*-)=B xoxx~~[507]