[IP] Retinopathy

I have to disagree with the statement that all type 1's will get
retinopathy sooner or later.  I just had my annual visit to my
opthalmologist with another clean bill of health (hear me knocking on
wood?).  This is 35 years after diagnosis.  As the MD said, "some
diabetics just seem to be congenitally protected from complications;
others are not."  Not that I want to give up the control I have from the
pump, but there are other factors.  In fact, to my thinking the
turnabout in my diabetes care came when I accepted the fact that I
needed to test my blood sugar 7-10 times each day.  This allows me to be
both proactive and reactive in a timely fashion.  On MDI, I was less
likely to pull out the old syringe and shoot up again if I was running a
little high (a quick bolus is so much more civilized).  But after years
of never testing, the numerous blood tests offered my better control.
Vicki McDonald
glycohemoglobin since pump assimilation 5.2 - 5.6
glycohemoglobin on MDI, testing 7+ times daily 6.2