On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, P. C. wrote:

> dressed for school.  I ran into the bedroom and found my wife in a deep
> diabetic coma.  Her eyes were wide open, not blinking at all,  and breathing
> from her mouth on her back.  My son was just playing in the den and said

> This is the first time this has happened in her life.  Is there any way I
> can get sugar in her if she's not swallowing ?  I think some sugar from the
> OJ did get in her blood through her mouth - is that true?
Maybe a little, but OJ contains frutose and if concentrated and
reconstituted may contain other forms of sugar. Most of these must
actually be digested before the body can utilize the resulting glucose.

> Does glucose jell get absorbed through the mouth ?

Yes, glucose can be absorbed directly through the mucous membrane. Before
administering gel to an unconcious person however, you must check that
their gag reflex is still functional or there is a high risk that they
will aspirate anything put in their mouth. I suppose you could rub small
quantities of the gel on the gums, but that small amount won't do much
good. You need to be able to administer a whole tube and smear it around
in there real good (without getting your fingers bitten). I've done it
once only for my daughter and it took about 15 minutes for her to come

You should keep glucogon around in a kit for injection. That will also
bring her around in about 15 minutes if you can't use gel. Talk to your
endo and obgyn about this and practice with some saline on an orange.
This is probably what the paramedics gave her.

When will pumps have an auto shut-off if the sugar level is low? >
nope, but you can set the MM to shut off if it has not been manually
activated after a preset time.

> How close was I to losing my wife?
Not as close as it looked.

> Is this common in other diabetics?
Yes, but more so for those on shots with long acting insulin.

> I'm very upset and needed to talk to someone.  This scared me so much.
Hang in there :-)

Been there, it's tough. I remember distinctly finding my daughter in the
middle of the night with blood all over her face and pillow (think she
bit the inside of her cheek) glassy eyed, unresponsive and gurgling badly
as she breathed. She sleeps on a platform bed about 5 feet off the floor
and I don't remember getting up there, just kind of levitated I guess.
The next morning I had a huge bruise on my leg that took about 3 weeks to
go away, I have no idea how it got there. Lily was fine, she more or less
woke up after a whole tube of glucose -- all over her, the pillow, in her
hair etc... what a mess. Took 15 minutes for her to wake up and another
15 for her to actually start to make sense when you talked to her. She
didn't feel to hot and her mother and I practically had dual heart
failure. Fortunately this has only happened once in 4 years. I know
others on the list have had to deal with this on a much more frequent
basis prior to starting on the pump. I can't say not to worry, I know I
certainly don't ever want to go through that again, but I've never heard of
anyone dying this way.