Re: [IP] The Abbreviations

Hi Michelle --

> I was just wondering, when I looked at the faq about abbreviations used
> I noticed the different types of insulin. Before I went on the pump I
> had been on Actrapid, Protaphane and Ultratard at various times. What I
> would like to know is where do these fit in with all these other types
> of insulin. The only one that is familiar is Humalog.

All those insulins with the "strange" names reflect their speed of
absorb-
tion.  Some of them work "faster" than the others.  When you're on
multiple
diabetic injection ( MDI ) therapy, you usually must take some long
acting
insulin ( NPH, Lente, Ultralante, which act over a 12-24 hr period ),
once
or twice daily, and usually some sort of short acting insulin ( Regular,
or the shortest acting, Humalog ), before each meal, and, say, at
bedtime.
When you're on a pump, you have the effect of insulin injectios
*continuously*,
i.e., your basals are *alway* being delivered, and your body reacts
almost
like you didn't have diabetes!  On a pump, you've got to cover the carbs
you take in with meals, so, you've got to give yourself boluses (
injections
of meal time insulin ).

The various named insulins make up a "poor man's pump."  Trouble is,
you're
stuck with the *timing* of onset of those slower acting insulins, and
you've
got to keep a "rigid" schedule, to make them work.

Hope this helps...

John Huff, Dayton OH
( type 1, dx @ 18 months, now 61 yo, pumping since 9/30/98 )
mailto:email @ redacted