Re: [IP] The Abbreviations

Hi Michelle --

> I was just wondering, when I looked at the faq about abbreviations used
> I noticed the different types of insulin. Before I went on the pump I
> had been on Actrapid, Protaphane and Ultratard at various times. What I
> would like to know is where do these fit in with all these other types
> of insulin. The only one that is familiar is Humalog.

All those insulins with the "strange" names reflect their speed of
tion.  Some of them work "faster" than the others.  When you're on
diabetic injection ( MDI ) therapy, you usually must take some long
insulin ( NPH, Lente, Ultralante, which act over a 12-24 hr period ),
or twice daily, and usually some sort of short acting insulin ( Regular,
or the shortest acting, Humalog ), before each meal, and, say, at
When you're on a pump, you have the effect of insulin injectios
i.e., your basals are *alway* being delivered, and your body reacts
like you didn't have diabetes!  On a pump, you've got to cover the carbs
you take in with meals, so, you've got to give yourself boluses (
of meal time insulin ).

The various named insulins make up a "poor man's pump."  Trouble is,
stuck with the *timing* of onset of those slower acting insulins, and
got to keep a "rigid" schedule, to make them work.

Hope this helps...

John Huff, Dayton OH
( type 1, dx @ 18 months, now 61 yo, pumping since 9/30/98 )
mailto:email @ redacted