[IP] Re: Poor man's pump, reply to Dianne

>The one good thing about the poor man's pump is that it did prepare us for
the real thing.
I worry that some doc's think that everyone has as easy a time with U and H
as you.  It simply is not the case.  For us, the pump gives us control that
no shot therapy ever could.   We were on the "poor man's pump" for a year
and I hope that Lauren never has to go back to it.  <

I never said that it was easy, but I think that if everyone put in half as
much energy as they do to the pump (granted you have a huge cost insentive
with the pump), they could end up with very similar results.  It took me
many years to find the right timing for injections, but when (with Jean
Espenshade's assistance - a WONDERFUL CDE) I did, it worked extraordinarily
well.  BUT I worked as hard, and was as willing to try different things, as
most list members are willing to try with the pump.  I did not use a
standard protical.  Exercise was MUCH easier -- it's a real pain now,
although that is perhaps due to other factors too.  Since I work out very
hard, and have no longterm insulin in the background, the adrenaline can
really kick up my bgs.

I'm very glad that you like your pump.  I believe strongly in tight control.
However, I frequently get the feeling that the list serves as a place to
justify the expense of the pump.  There are other, very good ways to achieve
excellent control.  I think that support of that tight control needs to come
from all with D, there are times when we have, and will, all need it.
Take care,