Heather and Diane, I think you ask a good question.  There have been alot of
good responses, but I thought I'd throw in my .02 worth.  I agree with you
that DM is a horrible disease.  If I knew that my child would definitely(100%)
have diabetes, I would not have a child.  Having a child is an abstract
consideration.  I do not want to have a child that I know will suffer with any
chronic disease.  I have 2 boys.  My understanding was that the odds were very
small that my children would have diabetes and they don't so far.  I was
advised NOT to have children because of my own health.  I chose to have
children because I wanted children and I thought my husband and I would be
good parents.  Now, when a child is born, they are no longer abstract, they
are real.  I love my boys unconditionally.  If they should develop any
disease, chronic, terminal, or whatever, I would love them the same.  We
attempt to raise our children in such a way as to prepare them for whatever
confronts them in life.  I hope my children will be prepared.  They are
certainly two of the nicest young men I have ever met.  Hey, I am being
completely impartial (g).
I guess I am too wordy.  What I am trying to say is that as an abstract idea,
we want our children disease free and problem free for their entire lives.
However, in reality, we all love our children immensely and hope they can deal
with whatever problems they may face.  Having children is a personal decision.
There is no right or wrong answer.  I feel no guilt whatsoever.  In fact, I
feel that my two sons are the best decisions I have ever made in my life.