Re: [IP] Vanity & the dangers of DIABETES, was Hiding your pump (Long -- sorry)

First of all, what a great letter (and thread) from some with long term diabetes.  Second, I have to disagree, with what Ruth said below about the downsides of using the pump.
-----Original Message-----
From: Ruth Elowitz <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: Saturday, November 14, 1998 4:01 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Vanity & the dangers of DIABETES, was Hiding your pump (Long -- sorry)

>The pump is great but especially with humalog and with misinfo or poor >support or help it is incredibly easy to mess up.  2 hours and you can be out >cold or in seizures (I've been there).  Granted that MDI also takes a fair >amount of work, but the old short schedules (even several a day) with some >long acting insulin are far more forgiving.
If pumping was so easy to screw up, someone like me would find the way.
A few words about my experience.  I was an intensively controlled MDIer.  I regularly had Hba1c of <7% on MDI.
But not without the frequent bouts of hypoglycemia, insulin shock, seizures and whatever you like to call them.  I found long acting insulins to be the scourge of MDI, and the source of all my hypoglycemic episodes, of which I probably had hundreds in ten years of MDI.  Most of these happened in my bed during the overnight.
Forgiving?  I broke my nose rubbing it in the carpet before my doc prescribed the pump.  I broke a toe kicking the dresser.  Several other episodes when someone called the ambulance.  More incidents happened that on advice of my doctor I shouldn't even mention.
Now the result of almost one year of pumping.  No hypos I was unable to recover from on my own.  A hba1c of 4.9%.
Others in this forum have stated the main benefit of pumping is avoiding long term complications.  For me the main benefit is avoiding the short term problems more likely to kill me quickly.  Secondarily, not being at the mercy of an external scheduling.  Thirdly, being able to eat and drink like a diabetically normal normal being.
I guess if I had to give up using the pump, I'd switch to using less Lente and more individual doses of Humalog.
I think the key to managing a pump is in the details that your support system provides; from the person who puts your pump in your hands, to your Endocrinologist and your Certified Nurse Diabetes Educator, to your nutritionist, to your pump support groups like this one and others.  Richard email @ redacted