Re: [IP] insertion sites

-----Original Message-----
From: M. Kerfoot/J.Riganti <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: Friday, November 13, 1998 11:45 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] insertion sites

>> This Disetronic/tender/humalog pumper changes infusion sets each 4 days
>> I have never refilled a pump reservoir.  I'd rather carry around an extra
>> prefilled cartridge.  I prefill three and refrigerate each time I open a
>> bottle of insulin, so most times there's at least one available.  I prime
>> tubing on location as needed.
>When you pre-fill the cartridge, then you use it with a new infusion

I myself choose from four options:

1) I might change to new tubing (only), if convenient and the site is new.
What do the pumpers feel about leaving a needle with factory cover in an
unsealed package for a few days?

2)  Or, if I don't want to waste insulin priming an almost empty cartridge,
and the site is old, I would keep the old tube and replace the catheter
only.  NOTE:  I replace the canula only after using surgical soap (i.e.,
Hibiclens, rinsing thoroughly) and a site prep with antibiotic (i.e., Smith
Nephew IV preps with Triclosan).

3)  I might change both tubing and catheter at the same time.

4)  Or if both tubing and site are OK, I may just disconnect, prime and

No problem with infection (?), having the pre-filled
>cartridge/syringe sitting in the fridge for more than a week?

Nope.  There is some kind of preservative in insulin that (evidently)
supports very little growth of bacteria.  I think that most infections stem
from problems at the site side of the delivery system.