[IP] Whether to have children and whether to have pump

I think that Michael is right on course about the risk of complications and
the benefits of the pump.  I don't do denial well and as soon as Lauren was
diagnosed, my husband and I began worrying about how to gain the greatest
control so that Lauren had the best chance of avoiding or at least delaying
complications.  My husband has a friend who does research about
retinopathy.  He left us the impression that it is not a question of
whether or not a diabetic will get retinopathy, but rather a question of
when.... and there is a limited or finite amount that can be done for it.

the pump is a tool, but it seems to act like a motivator, with positive
feedback for many.  We could never get the control on shots that we can get
on the pump.  I agree it takes extra effort but it is well worth it!

Finally, I heard a lecture once on the genetics of type 1.  Someone correct
me if my stats are off but I remember this:  5% of the population is highly
genetically predisposed to get diabetes (still not all get it)  30-40% of
the population is genetically disposed to get diabetes ( and obviously not
all get it).  Only about 60% of the population will not get diabetes type 1
no matter what!

I know a mother and father (nondiabetic) and 2 of their 3 children were
diagnosed with type one within less than one year of one another. (at about
11 and 13 years)  One child was genetically tested as being one of the 5%
highly predisposed to diabetes and the other child was genetically in the
30-40% who could get diabetes.

So 40% of us have the genetic makeup to get diabetes.  Apparently I have
since I have a child with diabetes.  Should 40% of the population not have
kids?  And what about all of the other genetic illnesses.?

Diane Massey