Re: [IP] Vanity & the dangers of DIABETES

> Stop! You're quoting these stats as if they prove something. They
> don't. The case is certainly strong, but not conclusive:
Ok, John, you want numbers. Here is just the eyes

These are from the first half dozen or so articles I scanned on

In a study in Japan with 3289 type 1 subjects, 29.8% developed

Study in Israel ending 1997, with 356 type 1 subjects starting from
around age 9 by 14 years into the study, 48.65 % developed
retinopathy, after 30 years all patients were affected to some

This is the really scary one!!
A small study in the UK with 37 type 1's and 24 non-diabetic kids for
a control group over age 8. After 4 years ( and I quote ),
signs of "diabetic retinopathy was present in 43% of the group and
was related to diabetes duration and metabolic control"

John, there are a couple of zillion of these studies covering all the
complications of diabetes. None of them show good results.

I reiterate, I believe I was being harsh. Everyone has their head in
the sand about how prevalent bad the side effects of diabetes can be
and what it costs us as individuals in time, money and heartache; not
to mention the 100's of millions it costs our economy every year.

Many of these studies mention hba1c levels between 8 - 9 as being out
of control. What small data we have from the IP group suggests that a
pump will easily help lower this 1 - 2 % points with out significant
effort. And.... this is the range of numbers we can see demonstrated
in the data. Look at the ABOUT page and see for yourself.

Maybe that's not conclusive, but my kid went from the 8's to the 6's
in a few months.  It's good enough data to convince me.

Yeah, I know I'm preaching, and maybe to the choir but the data is
certainly not inconclusive.