> One theme that appears to similar in
> the responses is that the probability is low of their children getting
> diabetes.  I find this hard to believe, since from all diabetic parents I have
> met in my lifetime and have had children, at least one child has ended up with
> diabetes.

I am one of three children with a father that is diabetic.  None of his
children are.  Yet my daughter IS.  And my father was one of seven
children and the only one with diabetes.  Neither of his parents has
diabetes either.  It's a crap shoot...and the decision to have/not have
children should not rest completely on wondering about the 'bad' gene.
Odds are, your children won't have diabetes.