[IP] Why have children?

We could take the question one step further...... Would we have our
children if we knew that they would become diabetic?  I never expected to
have a diabetic child, but I do now.  And I love her with all my heart and
soul.  I would do anything for Lauren.  She is such a joy!  She has a
special kind of sunshine.  We were always close, but ironically, diabetes
can bring a special bond between parent and child, especially when a parent
fights to give her child the best care possible....kids know and understand

When there was alot of Cloning talk going around, I decided that it would
be fabulous to have Sara's (my older daughter) and Lauren's "identical
twin" 20 years later so that I could enjoy rearing my beloved babies again.
 I challenged myself, would I want an "identical" twin to Lauren who might
also be diabetic?  I had to think only 2 seconds!  Of course, I would (and
if I could change her getting diabetes, I would try)  My point is that
Lauren (and Sara) are my greatest joys!  and life would be empty without
them.  Each of them have their imperfections(we all do), Lauren's just
happens to be diabetes.

I do indeed worry about the future for Lauren... certainly she may
experience more challenges than the average person.  All we can do, is the
best that we can with what we have and have faith for the future.   I
really do believe that diabetic children have a better future in store for
them.  And I fully expect for Lauren to have a long healthy life.

But let there be no doubt that I consider Lauren (and Sara) to be my
greatest gift from God.

Diane Massey