In a message dated 11/13/98 1:48:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted

<< I'm really very
 interested in real people's ideas since I know what the medical proffesion
 has to say on this)  >>
What does the medical profession have to say about this?  It is not as
horrible as passing on Muscular Dystrophy, or hemophelia, or some other known
inherited diseases? Both of my daughters are at high risk for Type 2, because
both grandmothers had it.  Type 2 is far more inherited than Type 1. I will
agree than some strains of type 1 are considered to be inherited, but those
are few compared to Type 2.  It is an old tale from some medical professionals
who suggest that anyone with diabetes not have a child. Should I have not had
my oldest daughter because she is an MD carrier?  Should all parents of
children with Down's Syndrome have their kids put in an institution?  I think
not!  There is so much more information and much improved treatment options
today, that I find it unconscionable for "medical professionals" or the well-
meaning neighbor to suggest that you should not have a child because they
might get "something".  This is a medical ethics issue that I am sure will
spark additional comments.  Just my 10 cents!

Barbara B.