[IP] Vanity & the dangers of DIABETES, was Hiding your pump

> Wow, that sure seems a bit harsh.  I did shots for 30 years and
> doing pretty darn well!
You are one of the lucky ones. Better read the stats again from the
National Institute of Health. Or better yet, why don't you chat with

Diabetic Retinopathy - the most common cause of blindness
Diabetic Nephropathy - the most common cause of kidney failure
Diabetic Neuropathy - the most common cause of nerve damage and lower
extremity amputation

These complications can be reduced enormously or avoided by good
control (not easy as you know). The easiest way to achieve that
control for most people is by the use of an insulin pump. Data
gathered from list members indicates an average reduction in hba1c to
6.9 for members of this list. That is well BELOW the average cited by
the DCCT for which reduction in complications for the above
conditions were cited as:

Diabetic Retinopathy - risk reduction 76%
Diabetic Nephropathy - risk reduction 43%
Diabetic Neuropathy - risk reduction 69%

These stats were for individuals with an aggregate group
hba1c of 7.2 during the study, whereas pumpers on this list as a
group average 6.9

Am I being to harsh, I don't think so. The biggest problem today
facing the those who have diabetes is that everyone thinks it is
easily controlled by injections of insulin. That is why research
funds are difficult to get (earlier thread) and why the problems of
many persons with diabetes are brushed aside by the medical
community. For long term good health it is essential that blood sugar
control be as good a practical. Being lucky doesn't change the
outcome for the vast majority of people afflicted with this
condition. The "it won't happen to me" attitude is juvenile at best
and foolish at worst. I am not criticizing your response on a
personal level, this is a national - no, make that world wide
problem. Diabetes is a killer. The level of awareness of the damage
caused by this disease needs to be raised. Might as well start right
here. I for one, do not want my daughter to ever have to deal with
the complications of diabetes. I know very well what some of these
complications can do. My father and uncle both suffer from macular
degeneration even though they are not diabetic. One is blind and the
other is close behind with only partial vision in one eye. The
question to ask of the young women mentioned in the earlier post is
simple. Should she worry about the 'looks' of a pager size object
that literally millions of people wear daily (pagers) or worry about
the complications of diabetes which if untreated NOW will be
devastating in her future. Brings to mind Lily's diabetes camp
counsler who at age 20 had already undergone laser surgery in both
eyes because....... or perhaps Renee's daughter Melissa who is on ACE
inhibitors because of microablumin levels that were close to 100 time
normal (talking about a 14-15 year old here). When is it too soon to
undertake the best possible treatment for diabetes?

I don't think I'm being to harsh, just realistic and aware of the