Re: [IP] RE:PArents of kids pumpers

Mary:
   This is now the third recent response I think that I've seen from a PSPP
(pint-sized pumper's parent) in which the school IS playing a minimal but
essential supervisory role...Hmmmm- so much for the "opposition" (the doctors)
stance that NO SCHOOL PERSONNEL WOULD EVER WANT TO BE INVOLVED........
   Actually, my neighbor is an elementary  school nurse & compared to the
horror tales she's related over the years of poorly-controlled kids with
diabetes & the discomfort it causes wary classroom teachers, it just makes
sense that 30 seconds allotted to confirming & observing a child taking a
lunchtime or snacktime bolus would be one heckuva lot easier than anticipating
a crisis situation!!  Also, these oppositional doctors are completely
"clueless" as to just how motivated we parents of pumpers are & that
consequently, we're not turning our kids over to the school personnel with no
input!! Just look at the creative "problem-solving" techniques employed by
several of these moms of very young pumpers- be it, writing the total carbs of
a packed lunch on the bag, studying the cafeteria menu & planning choices &
carb counts in advance, use of cell phones or pagers with bgs coded in place
of a phone number, moms coming to the cafeteria daily to assist, etc.  Bottom
line- where there's a will, there's a way.....and the lesson these parents,
yourself included Mary, are giving their children is one which will stand them
in good stead for years to come.
   OK - hopping off my soap-box yet again!! LOL

Renee