Re: [IP] Parents of kid pumpers

   Excellent response!!! As a former teacher of this age group too, and as the
mother of TWO teenaged daughters (almost 16 and 17) I concur completely.  The
critical element for me was to remove the adversarial relationship with
Melissa (doesn't always work of course) & approach things exactly as you
suggested.  One of my first "eye-openers" occurred when she was in middle
school & the nurse informed me she wasn't coming to her office regularly to
check before lunch. Turns out the reason was purely "social"...i.e. by going
to the nurse first, she arrived too late to get a seat with the kids she
wanted to be with & was hesitant to ask them to "save" her a seat every day.
Sometimes the motivation for NOT doing the "right stuff" diabetes-wise has
nothing to do with diabetes & everything to do with peer pressures at this
   The good news is that after 6 years of diabetes (and nearly 3 of those on
the pump), I'm beginning to see in Melissa the signs of both maturity and
acceptance kicking in...for TODAY anyway!! LOL...Seriously though, I believe
fervently that this would NOT have been the case were she still on MDI. The
"success" of pump therapy becomes its own "self-fulfilling prophecy". If she
awakens at 124 & feels good, comes home from school at 99, drops to 85, 90
minutes after a large pasta dinner ( and assumes she over-bolused & can learn
from that lesson), etc etc etc, then she's on a constantly improving learning
curve where she can truly "taste" the fruits of her own labors.
    As to record-keeping, well.........................................that
seems to rank right up there with not changing lancets!!!....If this is "as
good as it gets" for now, it's far, far superior to what I'd thought I'd be
facing with a 16 yr old diabetic teen when she was first diagnosed. I never
intended to play "warden" to a "prisoner"- my role is that of a "coach" to a
"player in training".  The more she trains, the less "coaching" I should have
to do......
   As someone else stated yesterday, feeling good becomes its own reward as
compared to how lousy a high bg feels, if a bolus is forgotten. I think
doctors are short-sighted in not acknowledging the intangible benefits for the
entire family when pump therapy is initiated. Those days of Melissa crying
(because she couldn't go on the school bus with her sister because she hadn't
finished her breakfast yet )created extra tension & stress for all of us -
especially when my work schedule hadn't allowed for driving her.....And of
course, knowing she'd taken her NPH/R shot, I HAD to make sure she ate every
last morsel....
    As she ran out the door this morning, skipping breakfast yet again, like a
NORMAL teenager, those chaotic days & those memories are very far away....