Re: [IP] Parents of kid pumpers

> I always pack Jenna's lunch and write down her food's carbo's and
> her bolus.  She's a good eater, though, and usually eats whatever I
> pack.  I have a cell phone that's pretty much just for her, so she
> calls me if her sugars are out of "target" range, and we add or
> subtract as appropriate for highs or lows.  Recently, though, she's
> been "forgetting" boluses, despite me telling her, putting the note
> in her lunch box, etc.  What do you think, other pumper's parents -
> do your kids forget, even if you've just told them what to bolus? Is

Yeah, happens. I think they go through phases. When things get easy
or 'normal' they start to act just like other kids. Lily did this for
a while, then came around as she became more aware how important it
is in the long run to have good hbA1c's. She had a mediocre one and
we talked about complications (I did my best to worry her) and she
has since come to a better understanding of what she faces if she
does not maintain good control. She knows she can with a little work
and understands the difference it will make in the long run.

this was a hard message to get accross and it took some time.  Jenna
is still very young, and an understanding of what lies in store for
her if she goofs off is hard to convey. I would not hesitate to try
and educate her in non-technical terms about the problems. Put in lay
terms, going blind, losing toes or feet, kidney failure, etc.... Yes,
it is probably scary for a child, or maybe not even completely
understandable, but eventually you must get the message accross that
she has the tool at her disposal that can prevent or at least
mitigate all of those problems and that you and her dad will do
absolutely everything you can to help. But.... she's in the drivers
seat and has to remember......

Is that enough of a sermon?? <vbg> Maybe we can get Randall to make
this on official :-)

> this a game all the kids have to try to play?  Jenna is 9, pumping 2

Not a game, they really forget.