Re: [IP] Re: Pork Insulin In The Pump????

I dug this information out of the Velosulin patient information product
insert. The reference to pork insulin kind of surprised me:

"Product Description:

Velosulin BR is a clear solution of insulin in a phosphate buffer. This
human insulin is structurally identical to the insulin produced by the
pancreas in the human body. This structural identity is obtained by
enzymatic conversion of purified pork insulin."

This gets filed away in my "Gee, I never knew that" file.

I interpret this to mean Velosulin is actually a pork based insulin
product. Technically, Velosulin is the *only* insulin approved for use in
the insulin pump (not trying to make a case one way or the other for H vs.
V, just citing fact). One might infer from this information that pork
insulin has been successfully tested and used in the pump.

And by the way, the information later on mentions in the section titled
"External Insulin Infusion Pumps":

"You should change the catheter tubing and the insulin in the reservoir
every 48 hours." Hmmmm ...

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted