[IP] exercise

Hello pumpers,

I'm new to this List, pumping for 3 months.  I'd like to hear of
pumpers' experience managing exercise.  I posted this message to another
DM List I am a part of (though it is not exclusive to pumpers), adn got
no response.  I've been a bit reluctant to take on more strenuous
exercise because of my short experience pumping and my bad past
experiences with severe hypos and exercise.

How do you handle exercise?

1)  For long term (all day) exercise-- such as a mountain hike I took
recently, in which I hiked for 6-7 hours, I used a temp basal rate--
about half of my regular basal rate-- and still had some hypoglycemia,
then had some hyperglycemia later on.  I realize this is due to the
increased need for insulin later on, but at nighttime, I forgot to
adjust my nighttime basal, and had a severe hypoglycemic episode in the
middle of the night!  I guess this was good information for next time,
but dangerous!

2) I found for shorter term exercise 30 min to two hours or so-- a temp
basal rate is not so helpful, nor suspending the pump, as I have to plan
ahead and make adjustments one to one and a half hours prior to
exercise, and the timing doesn't always work out very well.

3) What seems to work best is to exercise after a meal, and recently
I've halved my pre-meal bolus, then exercised and that worked out well.

4) And lastly, when I exercise between meals, I eat some carb and
sometimes add protein snack.

What has worked for you?

Type 1 x 27 years
Pumping x 3 months