[IP] Kids on pumps

Hi,
I just had to post what happened to me last night at a diabetes support group meeting....I was the speaker and I spoke on insulin pumps....Tell me I wasn't excited....anyway, where I live, not many know about pumps...I really advocate them for kids, being diagnosed at 10 years old....

I've been working on this particular parent for about 2 years...he and his daughter were at this meeting.....he was interested BUT....he told me that he was using the "poor man's" pump...consisting of ultralente and humolog....with his daughter taking 4+ injections a day......Then he proceeds to tell me that what HE wants is a cure.....I told him don't we all,BUT there is none now and the pump is a great tool.....I asked him if he would like to take 4 injections a day...(this child is 9 years old) ..I told him that I've been there and done that....

I just don't understand why a person wouldn't want to try this.....especially for a child.......I guess I just wanted to vent.....but I did have all of the answers to his questions and he stayed after the meeting for almost an hour talking to me....I just hope it does some good......

sorry for rambling......I just know what the pump can do....not just for kids, but for all of us,,!!!!

On a happier note....one of my friends daughters was diagnosed last Thurs. and she's READY for the pump....so I'm happy about that.....

thanks guys.....you're the best....

RHonda

Unrecognized Data: application/ms-tnef