Re: [IP] Problem

> I'm no dietitian, but I have taken nutrition classes for my Nursing
> requirements.  Those foods that you ate are all high in fat.  The higher the
> fat the longer it takes for it to be digested.  Therefore, it stays in your
> system longer.  You might want to try some simpler carbohydrates.  Potatoes
> are complex.  With the high fat in the hash browns it's like double jeopardy.
> My suggestion would be to switch to lower fat proteins and stay away from
> complex carbs before bed.  Good Luck!

Assuming your basals and insulin/carb ratio are correct, a high fat meal
should cause you to go lowish before returning to normal, since you're
not adding more total glucose to the blood, just adding it later. If it
goes high in the morning, extra glucose is coming from somewhere. Where?
My best guess is that the scrambled egg, which is almost entirely
protein, is causing the effect.

I've observed this in myself. Sometimes I come in late and hungry, and
want something quick to eat before off to bed. Scrambled egg is perfect,
except that I find my bg's sometimes (but not always) rise unexpectedly
during the night as a result.

Carb counting, although useful and currently the best way to predict
your insulin needs, is still very approximate. There are lots of other
external factors that affect the bg, in vague and unpredictable ways.
That's why diabetes is such a hard beast to control. Carbohydrate is
just something that's easy to measure. Hence bg testing and supplemental
boluses: to react to the things you couldn't predict when you originally
bolused and ate the food.

As time goes by, I continue to learn, and get a feel for the many things
that actually affect my bg, not just what the text book says should, and
build these into the equation. But then I am a bit of a control freak...

mailto:email @ redacted