[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

[IP] Do we have to call it a pump?

    (Not that this really matters, but here goes:)
    I dislike calling this 507C a "pump." Acquaintances imagine a bulky bicycle air pump or something bigger until I show them the device that they thought was a pager. "Pump" doesn't accurately describe what the device does. I feel like a real invalid when I think that I am using a "pump," as if I have an artificial heart or an iron lung--machines that actually do some pumping.
    My question is: in this world full of euphemisms, why can't someone come up with a better word for the pump. We are already using vague terms like "infusion set," and "insertion site" and other things that sound like software engineering terms. But the same folks who call their "insertion sets" names like "Comfort," "Rapid," "Silhouette," and "Sof-Set" still say they manufacture "pumps." I would think that Disetronic or MiniMed would be interested in a new name, because "pump" is a word that doesn't make me think of something compact, lightweight and easy-to-use. Look at the logo on this website; it features an oil rig attached to a syringe. Oddly enough, that is just about what I imagined when I first heard of the insulin pump.
    A short, simple and descriptive word might be more appropriate. But I can't think of one! My insurance company favors "insulin delivery device" or "IDD." But that is too lengthy, and the acronym sounds a little too Freudian. Any suggestions? The pump is like having one of those garden "seeper" hoses, or a percolating coffee maker. Hmm...I don't think "seeper" or "insulin dripper" sounds much better. Rather than a pump, I like to think of it as a "pocket pancreas." Maybe "Humalog Helper."
    Any suggestions?