Re: [IP] Re: Compulsive measuring

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 email @ redacted wrote:

> Michael responded it (the scale) was not worth it, but I wonder if anyone has
> actually tried it, or if there are others they have tried.  Michael, do you
> know particularly that the Soehnle scale is not so accurate?  I thought it was

No, I only meant that for the $$ you invest, you don't get as much for
your money with an electronic scale. I have tested a fairly large number
of them and they suffer a common problem. If you want to weigh something
that is only ....say 25 - 35 grams, like a piece of bread, and you first
put a plate on the scale that may weigh a pound and ask it to tare - 0,
the accuracy goes to hell and it will not correctly weight the bread.
Without the plate, it works fine. This usually occurs with all but the
most expensive electronic scales, $300 -500 and up. A hundred electronic
scale usually can't perform this operation. In contrast, the mechanical
scales with rotary dials do this quite nicely. With bread, its not a
problem, forget the plate. But... with something gooey you are literally
and figuratively 'stuck'.

> supposed to be a very good brand.  And does the book your daughter uses
> (Exchanges for All Occasions) actually have carb factors or is it just the ADA
> exchanges (which generally are not as accurate)?  How many people on this list
> actually use carb factors?

She uses the book for the common backing ingredient section (which is
short) that actually contains carb content. The rest of the book is in
exchanges. That turned out to be enough in combination with the nice list
in Pumping Insulin. Everything else is usually on the packaging of the
foodstuffs. The other book she uses is "Fast Food Facts" which lists carb
content (and other stuff) for most fast food chain food.

Truthfully, she never uses any of these anymore. Occasionally, we'll
refere to the "Exchanges" list when we are baking something, or just look
it up in the back of "Joy of Cooking", which in addition to being a great
cookbook, has a comprehensive list of ingredients (better than "Exchanges").

You'll find after 6 months or so, if not sooner, that you will have
memorized 99% of the stuff you eat and will be able to tell at a glance
the carb content of a plate full of food you eat on a fairly regular
basis. Honest injun, no foolin'.