Re: [IP] Re: Compulsive measuring

In a message dated 11/5/98 9:19:01 PM Mountain Standard Time, email @ redacted

<< And does the book your daughter uses
 (Exchanges for All Occasions) actually have carb factors or is it just the
 exchanges (which generally are not as accurate)?  How many people on this
 actually use carb factors?
 Linda Zottoli >>

I can't speak for the scale, I still use a very inexpensive scale that
measures in ounces.  I've been getting by OK, but am beginning to lust after a
fancier one.  Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list...

But as far as the carb factors go, it is easy to calculate them yourself for
the various foods.  You need to have a book of carb counts that lists the
actual carb content of foods by weight or volume, not the antiquated exchange
system of "1 medium apple equals 16 grams of CHO" (or whatever it is, I've
forgotten).  The IP website lists several good books, and you can even order
them directly from the IP website via amazon.com.

Personally, I use The Nutribase Guide to Carbohydrates, Calories & Fat in Your
Food (the comments following the title on the website are mine...).

To calculate your own gram factors, you need to figure out the total amount of
carb in a food (you can use a table that lists ounces or volume to figure
this), then weigh it in grams, and divide the carbs by the number of grams.
This gives you the amount of carb per gram.  Now weigh the portion you are
going to eat (in grams) and multiply it by the gram factor you just

For more info on carb counting, you might want to check out this "Howto" on
the IP website:

Mary Jean
pumping for 21 months, and counting...