Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 23:26:38 -0600
From: "DIANE MASSEY" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Pump bumps

Lauren (12-pumping 4 months) is having trouble with pump
bumps.   We take
out the infusion from her hip (sofset) and her site itches
like crazy!  And
she has a pump bump with an infusion site that looks
irritated.  She has
had some itchiness all along but it seems to be getting
worse.   She does
not seem to have as bad a prob with comfort sets in her
abdomen but we
generally don't use that site as often.  We have changed
tapes to the tape
that is used with the comfort set, but no difference.  She
has always used
Humalog.  Is this the kind of situation that might be helped
with a mix of
Humalog and Velosulin?

I have read what Walsh has to say about pump bumps.  We are
pretty clean.  However, when Lauren disconnects she does not
put the
plastic plug on for either sets.  She disconnects at least
twice a day, to
bathe and to exercise.  I had gathered from the previous
discussion here
that using the "plug things" on the quick release and
comfort set release
was not really necessary.  Is that likely to be our problem?

Lauren tends to be a real itchy kid.  She tends to scratch
mosquito bites
until they are raw.  Any suggestions as to what to put on
the itchy
infusion sites to help the itchiness after (or even before)
the infusion is
removed?  Right now, we are using IV prep and antibacterial
soap (handsoap,
not hibiclens)before hand and antibiotic ointment or a
antiseptic spray

Lauren's infusion sets are changed at least every three
days.  Generally, I
do not notice that her absorption of insulin is any
different on the third

What do you think?

Diane Massey