[IP] High BG after Exercise - Dianne Massey

I had the same problem with high blood sugars after intense expercise
and found that it's from the epenephrine (adrenalin) shooting in to my
system and NOT somehow bottoming out without knowing it.  Intensity of
exercise depends on the condition of the body too.  I'm overweight
(sigh) and out of shape and 30 minutes on an exercise bike would put my
BG thru the moon despite constant checking of BG (every 15-30 minutes!!)
copious quantities of fruit juice and every other thing people on this
list could think of to do.  My solution?  I increased my fitness level
gradually.  Check my BG a lot. AND increased my Temporary Basal Rate
during exercise.  (It's tricky though as you must know that your
exercise is going to be more intense than usual and you need to do a lot
of research on how hi those BG is going to go.  )  Frequently my BG
would be normal immediately after exercise then go sky high a couple of
hours later-  my guess is that the epinephrine triggered my liver to
dump the glucose - which of course means the liver and muscles would be
taking it back up later - causing lows!)

There's a lot of conversation about this in this newgroup from time to
time and someone was going to write a FAQ on it.  Rhonda, I believe, was
an exercise physiologist and is now a CDE.  Good luck to you and your
Dianne De Mink

And yes, I have had a couple of serious problems while 'perspiring' and
my adhesive came undone on my tender - once from extreme illness - a lot
of sweating and I went right into DKA not knowing what had happened and
another time with an extremely hot day (over 100).  I have had more
problems with high BG since I've been on the pump for one reason or
another- most of which were 'user-error' problems that *nobody* warned
me about- perspiration, kinked tubing, occlusion, incomplete priming (I
used to prime for my 20 units and then insert it- I payed no attention
to whether the insulin was actually coming out the other end or not-
duh!!!) needle insertion and empty cartridges I was hip to - but I've
found that I need to check the whole pump every day and the site as well
to achieve any kind of uninterupted smooth flowing help from it.  A
quick check is easy enough to do and saves a lot of panic later on.
Hang in there.