Re: [IP] Re: Pork Insulin In The Pump????

At 08:31 PM 10/31/1998  Ted Quick wrote:
>email @ redacted wrote:
>> In a message dated 10/30/98 6:04:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,

>email @ redacted
>> online.de writes:
>> << .I do not think that animal insulin is available
>>  > for the pump, but I am sure that early pumpers used it in
>the pre-human
>> based
>>  > insulin days. >>

I asked the MiniMed rep about this and the official response was
that most animal based insulins are non-buffered and may cause
crystallization. I, personally, had thought that this had been
solved by the newer tubing and teflon infusion sets... (the
MiniMed response may have been on the extremely conservative
side). In any case, there is supposed to be a animal-based
Velosulin insulin available that is buffered. If this is true
and readily available in the US, this should take care of the