Re: [IP] Threshold of Insulin, and Carb. counting

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Alon Levi wrote:
> It seems that stright-forward carb. counting is not so stright for
> me. There seems to be threshold of insulin, and every added unit
> there after have much greater effect.
> 70 grams of carb. (during lunch) requires for me to bolus about 17
> units of Regular. When eating much less, and I do mean less (around
> 20 grams) It requires 12-13 units.
>
> Using a constant ratio, and some common sense, It seems that about
> 1/3 of carb. should require about 1/3 of Insulin, while it takes 2/3
> (~).
>
> Any ideas ?

Yes, sounds like your basals are not correct.  The relationship between

bg/insulin
insulin/carbo
carbo/bg

are all linearly related and predictable.  They change only slightly with
exercise, rest, etc.  The only real big variable is if you have hormonol
variations (ladies, adolsecents) or are taking drugs for something or other.

You should profile your basals carefully in a repeatable environment.
Remember that a change in basal rate with regular takes about 2 hours to
show up as an effect in your basal bg's.

Michael