[IP] 6th day and still unable to pump...

- -> Hi, I'm now in the middle of my sixth day and am still getting lows
- -> and highs.  How long does it usually take to adjust?  Before
- -> starting, my diab edu. thought it would be about four or five days.
- -> I've been diabetic since the age of ten (39 years).  Thought the pump
- -> might lighten my load but so far it has only added to my frustration.
- -> Is this the best they can do?  Billions of dollars go towards
- -> research.  Heck, even a man was sent to the mars!

Sally,

Your diabetes educator may know diabetes, but he or she is obviously
inexperienced in pump therapy if she told you to expect to get
regulated within 4-5 days.

In my case, it took about two months.  I believe my experience
reflects that of many on this list.

I believe you are being too impatient.  The pump is not a magic wand,
or something you plug in, turn on and expect a miraculous result.
The big difference in pump therapy is that you are getting a constant
infusion of insulin (the basal rate), much like what a non-diabetic
receives from a normal pancreas.

The basal rates take time to regulate, and there is no way to speed
up this process.  You will very likely end up with two, three or even
more basals, for different times of the day.  Trickiest to resolve is
the 3-4 hours period before you wake up, when the so-called dawn
phenomenon occurs - your hormones are rising, and so is your blood
sugar during that time.

Keep in mind that a basal rate change of even 0.1 units can
dramatically improve your control, and that it usually takes two days
following a basal rate change before you can trust the results.

Be patient and you'll be rewarded.  I was.  My first A1c after being
on the pump 3 months was 6.5 - the best value I've ever had, and I
continue to feel better and be under great control.

- -lee-

<email @ redacted>
Type I 25+ yrs - MM 507 pump - Humalog