Re: [IP] Square Wave Bolus

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997 email @ redacted wrote:

> After reading what everyone has said about square wave bolus, I tried doing
> that to cover boluses for meals.  How long should you set the duration for?
>
> Meshell

I an only relate what Lily does.  14 yrs old 105 lbs, slender.  She
blouses 1/3 with meal and the balance over 3 1/2 hours.  This works
pretty well except for fatty foods with lots of carbo, like pizza and
mac+cheese.  Those are 1/4 with the balance over 3 1/2 to 4 hours.  You
will probably have to experiment a little.  It depends on the glycemic
index of the food if it's a lot of one thing.  If it is balanced, a good
assumption is that the food digests over 4 -5 hours.  You just arrange
the insulin to cover that period of time.

i.e. a bolus to get you started and the balance to run out about an hour
or so before the food is gone.  That way the insulin and food match.

Michael