Re: [IP] Thanksgiving meal

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Tom & Linda Cotten wrote:

> >i would recommend a square wave bolus.  some may want to bolus then set a
> >square wave.  hopefully this will prevent the potential of snowballing the
> >insulin.
> >carolyn
>
> I've been lurking in the back ground long enough.  I have never heard of a
> square wave bolus.  Someone please explain.   Even though my meal was
> "relatively" low fat, I still went low after lunch.  Didn't count carbs
> right, or...is the square wave bolus that you are talking about something
> that might make a difference for me? (Like, maybe I did count the carbs
> right after all...but...?)  I have a Disetronic H-tron V100 and use lispro.
> Is the square wave bolus a feature offered on the Minimed?

It is offered on the MM507 and can be emulated on the 506 by setting a
temproary basla rate for 3 or 4 hours.

Basically, you infuse a portion of your bolus over an extended period of
time to better match the digestion characteristics of the food.

i.e.  a typical meal of mixed glycemic index foods will digest relatively
uniformly over a 4 - 5 hour period -- that is, it will release glucose
into your blood over that period of time.  You want the insulin release
to match.  Lispro peaks in 1 - 1 1/2 and is gone in 2 - 2 1/2 hours (for
practical purposes).  Using a square bolus of 3 to 3 1/2 hours matches
the insulin release to your meal digestion.

email @ redacted