[none]

Thu Nov 20 16:41:40 1997
From: "Randall Winchester" <email @ redacted>
To: "Michael" <email @ redacted>, email @ redacted
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 13:02:13 +0000
Subject: Re: [IP] presentation to middle-school kids

On 20 Nov 97 at 9:23, Michael wrote:

> Don't be disheartened by lack of response.  I think the problem is
> really with the medical community.  Those same parents who I spoke of
> above have responded to me that their Docs told them that
> 1) either kids should not be on pumps or
> 2) pumps are for diabetics who have complications.
>
> I know both responses are wrong and dumb! but what can you do when
> the doctor GODS tell their patients that stuff.

One of the problems is that doctors have to have a good relationship
with patients to be on the pump - sometimes we require "extra" help
or advice and they either don't know the answer or don't want to
bother with a "non-billable" event.

A lot of doctors still think that the complications are inevitable
and there's nothing that can be done.  My doctor told me 14 years ago
that my job was to keep my bg as close to normal as possible in order
to remain healthy - but he's not typical (unfortunately).

Another problem is with the medical system in this country - instead
of focusing on preventing future problems it is focused on dealing
with problems after they occur.  When you start talking about this
some doctors eyes just glaze over - they seem unable to think about
anything beyond the current crisis.
Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.