Re: [IP] Michael's request

On 15 Nov 97 at 20:24, email @ redacted wrote:

> I don't think there should be any reason why we cannot talk about personal
> things that happen in our lives. Especially when they have alot to do with
> your diabetes. I  know I am guilty of this for talking about having to put my
> dog to sleep, and about my divorce, but I have received alot of support from
> these people and glad to include them. I could see if we were talking about
> something like, our political agenda, our religious views, racism or
> something very nice. I thought we were here to help each other? It is nice to
> have something other than our disease to keep us linked to each other. I care
> about Rodney, Glenn, Sue, Carolyn, Miriam, Becky, Jim, and alot of other
> members, for reasons other than that they are diabetic. I started to get
> involved with this group for it's personal side and was scared that this was
> exactly what was going to happen. We would not REALLY know or care what
> happens to each of us. We should be able to express when someone in our
> family dies, or we are having a problem. This is just my opinion, of course.
> Karla

It helps to discuss the main issues when we know enough about the
other people to talk to them as fellow human beings instead of
computer graphics.  I'm on some other lists where the moderator
tightly polices everything said - and it's about like referencing a
search engine because there isn't any sense of people on the list.

I think we all need to include parts of ourselves - because we are
more than appendages of the pump.  We are people who share a
particular experience, and in discussing how we deal with the rest of
our lives as mediated through that viewpoint we can share, learn and
be a community.  Karla needs support now because of her divorce, and
some of the things she's facing are difficult.  Many people outside
of our community here cannot really understand some of her concerns -
but we can.  There's a fine balance between being a "subject focused"
list and an "open season" list, but so far it seems to be staying
close to the middle.  Without some "human stories" on the list we'd
all become just extended marketing devices for MiniMed, Disetronic,
Lilly or Nove - just quoting the "party line" for our particular
suppliers and not much else...

Randall Winchester

* If I say I understand something completely we can both be
* be assured of is that I have probably not understood anything.