Re: [IP] Humalog

On 15 Nov 97 at 7:16, email @ redacted wrote:

> Has anyone written to Eli Lilly to let them know about the instability of the
> Humalog in the pump and that we need it to last longer?

I asked about this and was told that 1) it isn't that unstable at
normal room temperature - it should last at least the full 28 days
with no measurable decline in strength.  After 28 days, or if you are
exposing it to UV light or extremely high temperatures (where you
would be uncomfortable) then it will start to slowly loose
effectiveness - but should still have most of it's effectiveness
after another 10 to 15 days.  The rep did say that if you mix it with
something else, or get it contaminated then they won't vouch for the
stability of it.  He also repeated something that my doctor told me
years ago about not letting the insulin be x-rayed at an airport
because that will make it unstable just like UV light or sunlight.

and 2) Humalog isn't FDA approved for use in the pump so they don't
officially endorse that use.

Randall Winchester

* If I say I understand something completely we can both be
* be assured of is that I have probably not understood anything.