Re: [IP] Re: Celia

On 12 Nov 97 at 6:19, email @ redacted wrote:

> Celia,
>
> I was using Glucagon so much I had a script written with revolving refills! I
> was going low and high all the time before going on my pump. Believe me, you
> should not have any problems with severe lows if you know what your doing. It
> does take more discipline to be on a pump, but the rewards are so great, I
> can't imagine anyone not WANTING to pump!!! I have finally gotten my
> awareness back somewhat. I used to be at 28 and still be walking and talking,
> then bam! I was passed out. Now I do feel it at about 50 which is a miracle
> for me. But those reactions are my fault, not the pumps. I either didn't
> calculate right, or didn't eat enough. But I can't believe the difference it
> has made in my life. Just click some buttons, and eat! I don't have to go
> into those cramped little toilets when I'm out eating, to give my insulin.
> Sometimes people think I'm playing with my breasts though! I put it in my bra
> alot and have to find the right buttons!
> Karla

The pump does have these advantages - I went into a restroom at a
restaurant last year and was waiting for space at the sink to sit my
meter down - there was another man standing there apparently waiting
too.  When all the other facilities were empty there was this long,
slightly uncomfortable silence while we stood there looking at each
other.  I finally said "Excuse me, but I'm diabetic and I need to
test my blood sugar and take a shot"  -- it turns out he was too.  We
had a good laugh and took our shots.  That was the first time either
of us had encountered another diabetic trying to take their shot at
the same time in those surroundings.

Now with the pump I just push the buttons and away it goes...

Karla, do you use a Minimed with the audio bolus when your pump is
hidden?  If you do how well does that work?