Re: [IP] Spouse's feelings about pumping

Hi there!  I'm actually answering as wife of a "pumper."  My husband and I have
been married for 6 months.  I'm familiar with diabetes because my father has it
and gives himself shots.  I will say that I was not familiar with the "ups and
downs" of diabetes.  Meaning high and low sugars.  I learned more about that
with my husband.  When we first started going out, he was very honest with me
and told me about his pump... it's internal and thus he has a "lump" on his
right side.  One couldn't recognize that he has diabetes.  His sugars were well
regulated and the highs and lows were not common.  A couple of months back, he
had some trouble with his internal pump.  His sugars were very high and I became
scared that I might lose him due to the malfunction.  For a short time he had to
use shots and it seemed he had trouble controlling.  He was then switched to the
external pump until the problem with his internal is rectified (@ January).
I'll tell you when I first saw him put the pump on, I was nervous.  I believe
it's because I was afraid of accidentally pulling it out or something.  I was
also afraid that he would continue to have peaks and valleys and I know it's not
healthy.  However, since he has had the external pump, he is more alive than
ever.  His sugars are well regulated and the ups and downs are less severe.

I can relate to those spouses who are concerned.  It's hard to watch a loved one
struggle to maintain control of sugar levels, etc.  It's also hard to understand
exactly how you're feeling during those times.  I agree that communication is
essential in this process as well as the processes of life.  I hope all spouses
tell their loved ones "pumping" what is making them apprehensive, etc.  The
person living with the pump itself can assist in our understanding.

Anikka
Wife of pumper