Re: Re: [IP] Spouse's feelings about pumping

On  9 Nov 97 at 18:43, email @ redacted wrote:

> Along with Karla, I too, am wondering as to why one is put on saline first.
> If it is to get used to the pump, why can't you just wear it, and pretend you
> are bolusing. Why does saline have to be bolused.
> Is this happening so as to get practice inserting the sets? I see no reason
> for this either.. There is no way, by using saline, that you will know
> whether you have done it right anyway. (Like BG's going up, because you are
> not being delivered  the correct amount of insulin.) This just seems to be a
> waste of sets.
>
> Please explain.
>
> Sissy

I'm still new at this pump stuff (Minimed 507 since last week of
September) but I was put straight on Humalog.  The doctor, CDE and
pump consultant and I did some calculations for starting points based
on what I had been taking on multiple injections.   So far the
results have been good, at least until I got a sinus infection two
weeks ago and my bg values are going all over the place.  At least
I'm able to temporarily up the basal rate when the values start up...