Re: [IP] Spouse's feelings about pumping

- ---------------------^^^^^^^^^^ No she doesn't, but she will

> sees it as a constant reminder of my diabetes. Are these feelings common? Do
> they get better?

As a Dad of a diabetic child, I can only say the the HUGE difference the
pump makes in quality of life has an impact on the entire family that is
not obvious until the changes take place.  Everyone in the family gets to
live a normal life.  There are not the constant reminders of a family
member with diabetes such as:

>> fixed wake / sleep cycles
>> fixed mealtimes
>> programed 'exchanges' that must be eaten for meals and snacks
>> sneaking off to shoot insulin in the bathroom or other secluded spot
>> omni-present syringes, etc...
>> a huge list of no-no foods, including most of the good stuff
>> required periods of exercise at specific times

Your wife will REALLY understand about the insulin pump when she sees you
begin to enjoy a 'normal' without regard to any of the above.

I apologize (a little) for preaching, but all of those thing and more
cause a diabetic person a huge pain in the ass.  In addition, the impact
of having to manage that kind of routine with 4 other kids in the family
is an even bigger pain in the ass.

My point??  Well, with a pump it all goes away. I can only speak for my
family, but it sure makes a big difference that Lily can eat what we or
her friends eat, whenever she wants. That she can play sports, swim,
etc... when and where she wants without worrying that some "N" that she
shot hours ago will screw up her fun.  Movies with pop-corn are now the norm.
Pancakes or waffles with real maple syrup (no-limit) are standard
somewhere between 9 and 11 on Sunday morning after sleeping in 'til
whatever time.

This is pumping!

Michael