Re: [IP] Re: New Pumpers

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, buddybarber wrote:
> 	I don't think an alarm will sound if the cannula is bent, I think it will
> just deliver the insulin too shallow and it will not be absorbed correctly,
> but that is just a guess.

The alarm will sound on a total blockage after 2 to 5 units don't get
through.

Try it.  Take the little crimping gadget that comes in the box of sets
and crimp the line about 6 inches from the infusion site. Please
disconnect before doing this.  Give a 5 unit bolus, count the clicks
until the alarm.  If you don't crimp real good it won't alarm. Our pump
chimes eventually if the crimp is tight.

In the real world, very tight elastic (on a swim suit) or a belt if you
ar bent over, sitting, with the belt cutting into your skin is enough to
crimp the tube 'during a bolus' and cause an alarm.  If you are moveing
around at all, this will not happen. In 2 1/2 years, there have only been
2 real alarms not caused by elastic or belt (which are easily fixed by
moving your body). The were 1) ran out of insulin, 2) had a real blockage
caused by crystalized insulin at a serious deformation (damage) in the
infusion line. The damage was visible to the naked eye and was probably
caused accidently by crushing the tube in a door or drawer accidently (we
don't know what).

Michael