Re: [IP] New pump--Day 2+ (long)--Help!

ernie garcia wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Mostly great news, but having some problems--details at bottom. (I'm a
> little worried, and unsure what to do).
>
> First, many thanks to all who responded, both on and off the lists, for the
> words of encouragement, regarding transitioning to the pump. You guys are
> great!. I really appreciate it, particularly when I started getting nervous
> about finally starting-up.
>
> Had my pump start last Thursday! It went very well!
> This is a black Minimed 507, and I'm using their Sof-set Quick Release
> Infusion set with the Sof-serter. These were shipped with the initial
> package.
>
> I was also put on straight Humalog. First time I'd used it.
> I was on multiple injections of Novolin Human Insulin (R: regular, and
> N:NPH) 8R, 8R, 8R, & 17N (only) at bedtime, adjusting with a sliding scale.
> This was by two Novolin 1.5 pen's.
>
> Although my BG's were getting better, with even a couple of lows around
> 4pm, I still had highs up in the 200-300's. I was in the high 200's before
> breakfast, and before lunch. I'd get to a very occasional 120-150 about
> dinner-time.
>
> The "install" or pump-start was in my doc's office, by the MM rep, with the
> CDE checking in every once in a while. Took about 3 hours. Also, had my
> wife there to help me remember.
>
> After waiting so long for this, it was almost anti-climactic. No big deal
> really. Very low key. The MM rep was great. He also did the initial
> programming of the pump. He was very careful to make sure that I also did a
> couple of them. No problem programming this thing.
>
> He helped me with the insertion. ( I still haven't changed one myself,
> though I'm about to). The sof-serter is great. I didn't even feel it. Don't
> know about you folks, but when I watched the MM video, with the guy
> stabbing himself in the stomach, I almost gave up. (That's when I sent a
> message to the lists, and got encouraged to go for the pump).
>
> The doc had left the initial profiles.
>
> First one was:
> Basals: 12-4am, 0.6, 4am-8am, 1.2, 8am-midnight, 0.8
> Meal boluses: 7 units each: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (And as
> suggested, I bolus only when I see the food)
>
> First BG's were great. Never had better. I thought I'd gone to heaven. I
> checked every couple of hours, including a 3 am.
> Last penshot at noon (10R), BG of 250.
>
> Just before install on Thursday(10/30)at 3:30pm: 180, THEN 88, 94, 140, 114
> AT 3am.
> Friday (10/31) 111(6:53am), 95, 150, 58(4:11pm), called Minimed AND my CDE.
> CDE had me change: cut back 3rd profile, 8am to midnite, by .1 (to .7).
> Then call Monday am with BG's.
>
> 187 (7:40pm), 215 (11:21PM)-not sure what to do, I bolused 1 unit. (Even
> here, this is NOT as high as I've been-prepump).
>
> Meant to test at 3am, but overslept.
> Sat (11/1) at 5:10am, 229--called Minimed. She mentioned that the first
> [...]

Ernie,
I hate to hear things are not going so well to start out.  Sometimes if
the connection at the leur lock is not snug you can get a leak there,
but I've never had a leak at the QR junction.  Anytime there is a leak
and tightening the connection does not correct it you should change the
complete infusion set and call MM they will want to know the case # of
the malfunctioning part and will probably send you a replacement.
Changing the set isn't difficult and it is worth it to have better
BS's.  You don't want to change profiles and pump settings if the
problem is in the infusing line.  Don't get discouraged.. Pumping is
great.  You just had a few freaky things happen.  These are not the
norm. I have been pumping over 10 years (MM 506) and have only had one
leaky set in all that time.  Good Luck.   Gena