Re: [IP] re: Medtronic's Monopoly on Pump Market

 There are 3 kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies, and statistics. I expect Medtronic
pumps when used with a Medtronic sensor that actually works would be safer.
However my understanding is (if someone can find me a source) that the Medtronic
sensors work well for around 10% of the users. The Dexcom success rate is far
higher and probably in the 90's. However it's easy to imagine Medtronic putting
together some STATISTICS showing how safe they are. However it's a biased
sample. Those people using Medtronic sensors for a long period of time are those
people where they actually work well and that's a small fraction. I know UHC cut
a good deal but it's just as likely they got duped. In the article they quote
someone from UHC saying "The vast majority of our members already chose a
Medtronic device". Well that's because they are the oldest one still on the
market and have the largest market share. Poor use of statistics everywhere in
this article. I'd like to see a trusted 3rd party analyze the data.

John

Ugh.  Time to breathe deeply and relax.
Sent from my iPhone

<email @ redacted> wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/united-medtronic-deal-pumps-diabetes-debate/381153261/

 > The above article just popped up on the Minneapolis Star Tribune online.
Especially interesting, given the location of Medtronic's HQ. I hope that the
newspaper in the hometown of UHC prints a similar article in protest.