Re: [IP] Test Strip Restrictions

Everyone will agree that the health care system has many problems. In my
(humble) opinion, one symptom of this is that we call these company
"insurance companies." Let's look at the dictionary definition of insurance:

insurance, noun: a practice or arrangement by which a company or government
agency provides a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage,
illness, or death in return for payment of a premium.

While that may be what health insurance companies used to do, it's only a
part of what they do now. Providing test strips, prescriptions, routine
doctor visits, routine tests, etc. is not compensation for loss, it is
health maintenance, which is why these companies where originally called
Health Maintenance Organizations. It was a new, refreshing idea at the
time, but now it's too big.

What does a HMO do today? They take money, typically yours, that was
deducted from your paycheck, run it through layers of bureaucracy to
determine what kind of health care you need, then pay the insurance
providers on your behalf. Why do we need this? Why can't we just take the
money before it gets into the system, make our own decisions about what
kind of health care to buy, and buy it ourselves? We can use a real
insurance company to give us compensation for illness if we need
non-routine (i.e. emergency) care.

The benefit to us would be this: Because test strip manufacturers would no
longer be able to rely on the guaranteed high prices paid by the HMOs, they
would set prices to competitive, market prices that we could actually
afford with out assistance.

--
Steve