[IP] SS Disability

Diana asked:
I have neuropathy in my feet, my hands, and some gastric issues..my
vision JUST makes the limit for driving in New Yok..reimopathy is stable
at moment, being treated for diabetic macluar edema, have no peripheral
vision  (laser treatment for retinopathy)...  arthritis in
spine...little stamina.   Type 1 for 50 years....  have good ontrol now
with the pump.    I need and want to go back to work--retail, nanny,
housekeeper, whatever. but I am finding it very difficult.  Are any of
you on disability?  Can you advise me:  will I have to give up my
driver's license?  will I need to go through a lot of costly, painful or
otherwise yukky testing?

   Thanks so much for any advice and help.

Diana

Sharon Replied:
I know of many people on disability that drive but I know that doctors, ex.,
eye doctors, neurologists, primary care docs, etc.   can and obligated to
report to the department of motor vehicles or secretary of state if they
feel a person is unsafe to drive.  The best thing is if you are impaired
because of blood sugar or you had an eye test done or you are under the
influence of pain medications, have somebody drive for you so that an
accident does not happen. I do believe I have heard people talk about being
low and were in an accident and how that was not a good thing. It is always
to check blood sugar before driving and if you are driving for a while and
do not feel right-check blood sugar and keep supplies on hand to treat
accordingly. Take care, Sharon