[IP] Re: help with Medicare issues

I just want to point out that there is a program nationwide called SHIP (in
California it's called HICAP) which offers free counseling and assistance with
Medicare and related insurance issues. I just became a registered counselor in
 California. We help explain and evaluate the various options with Medigaps,
Part
D plans and Medicare Advantage plans, as well as assist with issues related to
bills, claims and appeals. The phone number should be on the back of your
 Medicare and You book or you can go to www.medicare.gov or else just Google
SHIP
 in your state. It's different state by state so counselors who are registered
in
one state can't really give advice about how it works in another state, and as
someone pointed out even the requirements for Medicare Advantage Plans differ
region by region even within a state. I believe SHIP stands for State Health
Insurance Program. HICAP stands for Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy
 Program. It is so complex and there is so much to know that it requires a lot
of
initial and ongoing training to be a counselor. I'm new so I don't know a lot
yet but there are always experienced counselors and staff to turn to for
 assistance. Even if you get a new counselor in your area they can get help from
someone more experienced and get the answers for you. I encourage everyone who
is on Medicare or about to be on Medicare to use this resource. Pam