[IP] RE: back pain, steroids, and diabetes....

Hello, all -

I'm sure this issue has been addressed in the Digest but since it didn't apply
to me at the time, well......it sure does apply now!

I have been suffering for months now with severe back pain, which came on
gradually,  from bulging discs in the lumbar spine, arthritis and some
degenerative disc disease.  I sought help in March because the problem was
getting worse.  My internist advised a steroid epidural but I knew from a
friend that physical therapy can also be helpful.  Short summation:  6 weeks
of physical therapy did NOTHING (in fact I continued to worsen) so I had the
first steroid injection last week.  Also did nothing and knocked my sugar to
high heaven - which I expected but my doctor had said it would be only for a
couple of days, and it's been more than a WEEK.  I've also been ravenously
hungry - another side effect of steroids - but of course when I'm 300+ I can
have only lettuce, celery, etc. Gee, what fun, huh?

The sugar problem seems to have abated, and I can eat almost normally now.
But the PAIN.   I never knew one's BUTT could actually hurt, except of course
for an injury of some sort.  I have "left buttock syndrome" with pain that
extends all the way down the leg to my foot.  Actually it's both legs, the
entire butt AND the lower back.

Can anyone offer any other ideas for a solution?  A chiropractor?  More shots
and more high sugars?  A full body replacement??  I am so debilitated I don't
know what to do, although I have managed to not miss one day of work.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.  Please feel free to e-mail me
privately if you want to  at email @ redacted

Best regards and a great holiday weekend to all,

Barbara