Re: [IP] Please advise

--- On Fri, 5/23/08, email @ redacted <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I have used up my fingers taking blood.  They are very
> black and blue  with
> blisters.  I use a One Touch device.  I have a clear
> plastic  cover to be used
> to get blood other than fingers.  I can't seem to use
> it  as the needle
>  doesn't come out far enough. I managed to get blood
> from stomach manually. If
> anyone can teach me how to use the devise I'll be
> grateful.  Thank you all so
> much.     Ellie

 I believe that when you use the clear cap for alternate site (any place other
than fingers) testing, you're supposed to push down on the whole device and keep
pressure on it until you see a blood drop form. It's not like a fingerstick
where you press the button and then pull the lancet device away immediately.

 I have never had much luck getting blood for alternate sites (I've tried my
palm and forearm). I only get a tiny drop, not enough for a test, and then it
oozes forever. I only use my fingers and I only use the sides, never the tips or
pads. I test 12-15 times a day and while my skin might be a little dry and
calloused on my favorite fingers, I do not develop bruises or blisters.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987