Re: [IP] Re: pump protector

> And let's not forget profit!!!
>
> Ruth
>

> "I doubt that refurbishing a pump and sending it out again costs the
> manufacturer that much. From what I understand, most of the cost of
> pumps is research and development."

Actually it can cost them more than manufacturing the original pump
new. The FDA requires that the pump meet ALL of the original pump
specs. In practice that means that the "used" pump must be inserted
into the original mfg process and run all the way through with
special handling. If it is a pump that is out of production then all
those steps must be done manually in the lab by a tech which is even
more costly. In practice my guess is that they just throw the broken
ones away unless it is something relatively simple like a software
upgrade or a broken clip, case, something easy to spot.

Michael