Re: [IP] Minimed Pathway, upgrading to GGMS question

--- On Wed, 5/21/08, Cynthia VanDenBerge <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I do not know of any insurance company that will cover the
> cost to upgrade
> before the warranty is up.  Of course there may be a plan
> out there that I
> have not heard of.  I was in a similar, tiomewise, as you
> are and I opted to
> pay to upgrade prior to warranty being up.  It was $699 and
> then, once they
> receive your old pump they will credit $400 back to your
> account.  So, you
> are paying $299 for 2 years of a warantied pump.  Then, it
> will go out of
> warranty.  Now my insurance will then pay for me to upgrade
> aqain at that
> time to a brand new fully covered pump (whatever new stuff
> will be
> available).
> The start-up sensor pack which includes your transmitter,
> 10 sensore,
> charger and inserter are part of this kit.  I had to pay
> $86 for this, but
> my next sensor order did not cost me a dime (great
> insurance).. Cynthia

 When you upgrade, do they add an extra year of warranty? You mentioned paying
$299 for 2 years of a warrantied pump. I have just under one year left on my
715, because I got it at the very end of April 2005. If Minimed is willing to
tack an extra year on the warranty for the cost of the upgrade, that might make
me decide to go for it.

 With my insurance I have not had to pay a penny out of pocket for any pump
costs (except the logbooks, which I like to use). From what the Minimed rep &
nurse told me, I would probably have to pay for the Pathway upgrade but nothing
for the CGMS kit. I'm going to call the sales rep in my area tomorrow and find
out what I'd have to do. I see my CDE at the end of June so I have time to think
about it.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987