[IP] Re: Bolus Dummy

I believe I must agree with Felix regarding the MM bolus software.  The
problem is that there are several complex variables going on and the pump is
only aware of several of them.  First of all, are there already fast acting
carbs in your system digesting and actually the 41 BG is rapidly rising at
several points per minute? The software is aware of 3 things.  Your current
BG, the insulin on board, and the carbs you are eating.  The writers of the
program have chosen to assume that IOB is covering prior eaten food.  This
may or may not be true, or the timing of your digesting carbs may be off.  I
believe that if the program were to ignore IOB when below target, a new
problem would arise of many high BG after meals when eating carbs to correct
lows. For example, suppose you had a bg of 41 with no IOB, and you ate 50
carbs. Your pump would recommend some insulin, because 50 carbs  more than
raises your bg above target.  Ten munutes later, you were at 55 and still
not feeling well, panicked and ate 50 more carbs. I don't think you would
want your pump to recommend no additional bolus because most of your
previous bolus was still active.  I realize that this is an extreme and
obvious example, but it illustrates the thinking behind the bolus software.
Summarizing what others have said,  the program can never calculate bolus
doses accurately for every situation. No bolus program can. It is a tool
that must be overridden on occasion.
Mike Zeigler
IDDM since 1961